Sunday, August 23, 2009

10 is the new 16


Well, I received three pieces of advice in the last couple of days, all of which I have not followed. "Don't carry more than 5 dollars, wear rubber gloves, and camp near people."

First off, after worrying the first few blocks how I has going to get along with my fully loaded trailer, it definitely got better. On level or nearly level, once I get up to speed, I almost forget it's there. Speed will be a newer, lower number, but that's OK, I'm not racing anyone.

It was fun to pass through Renton on my way out of town. Since there was no one with me to have to endure my childhood stories, I just thought them to myself. Down Rainier, past the Why? Grocery, past the storefront (now a pet store) that used to be a bike shop, and from which I got my metallic blue Schwinn 3-speed, past the airport. I saw 269TP taxiing out, that was one of my "learning Cirruses." Then to the bridge between the airport and the stadium, where at about three years of age, I ran away from home (a trailer park which no longer exists) with my home made fishing pole to "go fishing." Never mind that it was after dark, and even though I told my parents I was going, I guess they didn't think I was that serious. I think this trip is borne of the same impulse, just a little more ambitious. This time, I mostly worry myself.

My idea of making it over Chinook Pass in the first day was pretty far outside the realm of "possible." Once I realized that between Enumclaw and the Crystal Mountain turnoff is a mostly steady climb from 500 to 2,600 feet, the timing and my body decided to stop at Silver Springs campground. Only problem was, it was totally full. There was a ranger station just a few feet up the highway, and the very nice woman inside explained the concept of "disbursed camping" to me, and directed me to a spot about a quarter mile further, which is unimproved, but OK to camp in. And, it's free so I save $18.00! The pamphlet she gave me (which I didn't read until getting here) says I need a USFS Permit though. I would have picked one up at Greenwater if I had known. Next chance for sure, and I just hope no one in authority finds me here tonight. Funny she didn't mention it to me.

Tomorrow, an insane climb up to 5,400 feet, via Cayuse and Chinook Passes. I will be glad to start those fresher than I was this afternoon.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. You got really far the first day. How's the camp stove?

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Rubber gloves? Don't carry more than $5?

    ReplyDelete