Thursday, September 3, 2009

A Long and Strange, Dreamy Night


For those who don't remember back to my crisis of decision making back in Lewiston, whether to commit to the whole ride and possibly end up a skeleton out in the desert, or call off my ride in Lewiston, or, get a car to skip a portion, that is what occurred on Wednesday September 2nd. I grabbed my bike and left the back yard of my sleeping hosts, and rode out to the Missoula airport to get a Hertz Corolla. There is a mix of fortunately/unfortunately in here, as I was to find out that night. Ever make a decision because of something gone a little wrong and find out your new path may have saved you from something much worse?

Within minutes, I was in a strange world where you could go 75 (legally) with a gentle push of the right foot. I was still regretting the fact that my only option was to pick up a car in Missoula and drop it in Casper, cutting out about half my ride instead of a smaller portion, but it was that or nothing. Still, I wanted to see what I would have ridden, so I headed for West Yellowstone and drove through the park. I drove in at West Yellowstone and then wended my way to the south entrance and Grand Teton National Park. Every time I saw a pannier-laden rider, I felt guilty for skipping ahead. On the other hand, I had naively thought I could get through Yellowstone in one long day of riding. The miles alone said I could. What I was seeing from the car though, was that the route cruelly cuts back and forth across the continental divide, giving you the chance to climb and re-climb the same nine thousand odd foot ridgeline. It was beautiful, but would have been days for me to pull that off. And it gets worse.

After passing into Grand Teton Park, there are miles and miles of roadway presently under construction, soft gravel and hard dirt, uphill, where you have to wait for the pilot car and then keep up. I don't know if they would have said "go back," or have offered me the back of the pilot car. It would have been miserable. But the bad news is not over.

Once you head west from Moran Junction towards Togwotee Pass, which would have been the highest of my trip at well over nine thousand feet, once again, miles and miles of the climb up to the pass is all ripped out and you wait for a series of pilot cars. I became convinced that fate had dealt me a kind blow.

Once clear of the construction, I finally settled in for the drive across Wyoming to get to Casper via highway 26. The initial segment takes you through a red desert that is just amazing to look at in the twilight. There was a full moon, and the setting sun lit up the clouds in bright orange. If only I had taken a photo, I was so consumed with getting some progress made I didn't stop except for fuel and a quick bite in Riverton. Plus, I thought it seemed wrong to post a photo from a car. There was one very close, adrenaline producing encounter with a couple of deer crossing the highway. From then on I was very much awake.

Into bed at Motel 6 around 1:30 in the morning, and Thursday I will spend repacking, planning the final 177 or so miles, and being thankful that it has gone this well rather than ruing the six hundred miles I did not ride.

One good thing about the last part of my route. I think I have it figured out so I can camp near the Fort Laramie historic site, one of my favorite places to visit. That should be a shorter mileage day, so I think I might have time to go visit the fort. The few jaunts I have made without the trailer have felt very loose and easy. I'm sure that will wear off after I get home.

9 comments:

  1. I wish you would post more pictures of your trip. The few that you've included so far are beautiful, but I want more, more, more!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you get to visit Fort Laramie (the actual fort, although I am sure the town is quite interesting, too). I enjoyed it when I went there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you traveled the "bad, bad road" (as Willie says) by car instead of bike. Some places it's just better to be either driving 75 miles an hour, or flying at 37,000 feet.

    OH, and ... very (uh) interesting (disturbing?) picture. Is that you?

    pc

    ReplyDelete
  4. That picture is beyond interesting.... it looks like a mugshot of a mental person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apparently a great call on the rental car. That would have been a hell ride back and forth over the pass.
    Hope you don't pass out from the alfalfa smell riding into Scottsbluff.
    I don't suppose you're going to find the Dahlgren farm in Wyoming?

    ReplyDelete
  6. For some reason, I think of the Blair Witch Project . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blair Witch meets the Grapes of Wrath.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its Sunday already! Where's the next post?! Your readership cry's out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry, it's been a long time between wi-fi hot spots. I've been writing at the end of each day, but with no place to upload, they just keep stacking up in my little computer. It's funny, I was thinking that photo was like Blair Witch. My first time with the built-in webcam.

    Tammy-- I'll definitely put up more photos of Fort laramie, problem is, I've got Linda's little camera, and it keeps running out of memory, and I have to choose which old photos to delete to take new ones.

    Good stuff to come!

    (just wait 'til you see my shaving photos)

    ReplyDelete