Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Things I Learned Along the Way


Don't trust a name next to a dot on a map as being a town: Often it turns out just to be where the highway intersects with a dirt road, maybe with a grain silo added for decoration.

The more rural it is, the friendlier and more polite people become. Few exceptions.

Friendliness of lodgings owner is inversely proportional to cost of lodgings. (one notable, huge exception to this (I'm sure coincidental) tendency: Maggies Garden in Pomeroy.) But Lewiston Econolodge, Lakeview Motel in Glendo, and Chuckwagon RV Park in Fort Laramie, some of the nicest people I rented from, and all less than $35.00 a night.

My inexpensive Pearl Izumi shorts were more comfortable over the course of a long day than my expensive wool Ibex bib-shorts. I'm talking about comfort where the shorts meet the seat!

How smooth the road surface was proved to be more of a factor in riding comfort than steepness of hills or wideness of shoulders.

One pair of cycling socks is not enough, especially if that pair is hanging out to dry in a thunderstorm. What was I thinking?

Four pairs of underwear is way too many. (Except to use as packing material)

Wyoming is all about the "drive-up liquor."

On "tanning:" Since I ride eastward all day every day, the sun rises ahead of me, and moves up and to my right as the day progresses. So, my tan is darker on the right side of my upwards facing surfaces. I had to be extra careful to apply sunscreen to the upper part of my right calf, while the left leg was doing just fine. On future rides like this, I think I will bring a loose fitting, long sleeved white shirt to reflect the light off me while keeping me cool.

On dealing with the heat: First and foremost, leave by sun-up, ride while it's cool, and try to be off the road by mid afternoon. For the period between about ten am and end of ride, I had a Halo head cover that covered my head, the tops of my ears, and the back of my neck, which I doused with water periodically, and as it evaporated, it helped my head feel cooler. Still, anything over eighty-five degrees started feeling fairly unpleasant unless I had some shade. Serious climbing in direct sun (e.g. on my way up to Palouse Falls) was just torture.

Things will work out: You have to be ready to change your plan as you go, and just like in flying, call for help when you need it. I got great advice from family and friends along the way. And the people who commented and cheered me on through my blog were a huge inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment